This upcycled storage basket is a super easy project using materials you probably already have on hand: a cardboard box, twine and some leftover fabric + glue. A beautiful and functional project that will give any space some rustic charm.
I have something to confess, I love upcycling. I mean, if there’s any way I can transform “trash” into something functional and beautiful I just can’t contain myself. I even dream about projects I see online, like this thrifted upcycled planter , for example, or with this chandelier lamp Cass did a while ago.
Cardboard boxes, plastic bottles, old scraps of fabric. Upcycling is not only good for the environment but it’s also a great way to save money. I mean you can even upcycle furniture to give your space a new look, how awesome is that?
So when I found myself thinking about purchasing some baskets to organize my nightstand I decided to first try to do it at home. And oh my, I have to say I just love how it came out! The end result is so beautiful no ones would guess it’s made with a cardboard box.
What do you need to make a basket with a cardboard box?
First a little bit of creativity, just use what you have round so you can also create your own. Here’s what I used and some substitution ideas.
- Cardboard box: I used a small shipping box but you can also use a shoebox, a cereal box a cookie tin or even a plastic storage box. Don’t worry if it’s super ugly, we are going to completely cover it up.
- Twine: I used twine to cover the box on the outside, it’s also what makes it look like a basket. However, if you don’t have twine on hand you can also cover it with some fabric.
- Fabric: You’ll also need some fabric to place inside the basket. I also love how it looks like folded over the outside of the basket. You can also epicycle here and use a dishtowel or cloth napkins that are past their prime time but not ragged yet. or you can use some old t-shirt too!
- Glue: To stick everything together.
You can also use this upcycled storage basket as a gift basket!
This is also a great project if you want to make a gift basket or if you want to send someone a little something. You can even customize the interior to fit the theme/colors of the gift you are sending out.
DIY Upcycled Storage Basket
- 1 Cardboard box
- 1 Piece of fabric
- Hot glue
- Clean your cardboard box and cut out the flaps if it has any. You want to have a basic square with an opening on top.
- Stick the start of the twine to the box with a little bit of hot glue. Wrap the twine around the box adding more hot glue as needed to keep it secure.
- Cut the fabric so it fits inside he box so you can fold it out to wrap around 1/5 of the box. This will also make the finishing of the twine look cleaner.
- Secure the fabric to the box with a drop of hot glue in just the corners.
- Let it air dry completely before using.